Go Back   Sudan.Net Discussion Board - SDB - منتدى سودان.نت > General Discussion Board > Feedback and Complaints - الملاحظات و الشكاوى

Old 27-Mar-16, 10:00   #1
الثعلب الشتوي
Major Contributor

Thumbs up Dear Muaz .. Counsel of the Deaf Emperor (2)

Dear Muaz

Re Forum Security and Accessibility Concerns

Though there is an older post with a similar name, there is an update to the agenda:

You will be well aware that the forum has been experiencing prolonged and persistent periods where it was next to impossible to reach it.

It has been down for the best part of the last 10 days (starting on 16 March). The variety of 'error messages' conveyed upon attempting to access the forum (as well as the parent website, sudan.net) is impressive: from 'currently undergoing maintenance .. please check later', to 'database error', to staring into oblivion (blank screen of death), this ridiculous spectacle has been witnessed by many.

1. I am assuming that this is/has been happening despite your best effort, and you are not implicated in disrupting your own forum.

2. If that's the case, let's proceed:
2.A It appears that the forum has been subject to DOS/DDOS attacks
2.B I speculate that someone with an administrative user privileges is contributing to this mayhem. You will be well advised to look at the login files of ALL such privileged users. It could be an inside job (not necessarily the privileged user themselves doing it, but colluding with whoever it may concern to take the forum down). If the abuse is happening unbeknownst to the privileged user, then their account might have been compromised. I would advise you specifically to look into the activity on the account of NEWLY ELECTED MODERATORS WITH A DORMANT ACCOUNT ACTIVITY.
3. Your investigation should be thorough.
4. Such privileged user dormant accounts are a security loophole. It is an accident waiting to happen.
5. As a spinoff from this issue: one of the recently elected moderators:
(feel free to ask if you don't know who am I referring to) had declared sometime ago that they wouldn't be doing any moderatorial duties. But at the same time they haven't resigned their moderatorial function. That's not just ethically wrong, but is unprofessional.
6. You have provided no public clarity on what the heck is/has been going on, and whether the forum accessibility problem has been resolved and how exactly.

Sincerely
Mr. You Know Who

Old 30-Mar-16, 02:09   #2
muaz
Webmaster/Moderator

Tournaments Won: 1

Hello Elsa3lab Elshatawie,

Yes the board have had issues a couple of weeks ago. The issue has been resolved. Sudan.Net, the parent site was under attack bringing the services down from time to time, and that was causing the outage on the SDB, since they share the same server hardware. For the mean time the main site, Sudan.Net, is down and undergoing changes till we have the issue fixed in the next week, it will be offline. The SDB should be stable now and functioning properly.

I can tell you that account or administrator accounts have not been compromised.

As for the moderators , there are only a few that are active and I thank them. I will in a few weeks take a look at the moderators list and check the logins log and see who has been active. Those who are not active will be relegated and released of their duty. I certainly understand that there are many things in life that sometimes occupies us from things including me who have not been actively involved in the affairs of the SDB.

Thanks for raising the issue and your concerns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

muaz is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 03-Apr-16, 07:57   #3
الثعلب الشتوي
Major Contributor

Lightbulb

Dear Muaz,

Thanks for getting back.
Re Mods, if your investigation of the log files is thorough, then that's what's called for. It would be prudent to cover the possibility if Mods account are not 'changing hands'. So any login from a geographically suspicious IP should be investigated.

Of course life's pressures bear on everyone.

I would like to report technical problems with using Mozilla Firefox browser: Under Firefox, previewing posts renders a blank screen 99% of the time (i.e. the post is lost). Same applies when the quote/reply button is hit, as the quoted text of the particular post replied to is also not displayed. Same also applies to hitting the 'edit' button.

Issues with previewing videos, too.

Mozilla Firefox is the industry standard free browser with privacy guarding functions and no other agenda. You need to look into remedying these technical problems, which are probably sabotage by other big powers on the internet scene who are hellbent on poking around user's data.

Last, but not least, if you could make the default text size 4, for the benefit of those posting in Arabic, and particularly for those posting from a mobile device, it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
الثعلب الشتوي

Last edited by الثعلب الشتوي; 03-Apr-16 at 08:07.
الثعلب الشتوي is offline               Reply With Quote