Go Back   Sudan.Net Discussion Board - SDB - منتدى سودان.نت > General Discussion Board > General Discussion - المنتدى العام

Old 25-Sep-09, 14:19   #101
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure81 View Post

I am not sure, remind me of the beginning of it

ok the begining is a bit confusing cuz this is how it starts

the Author is going around interviewing people who had contacts with this witch named "Athena" .
then it gets into more details explaining who is Athena... after 25 pages of confusion
so far all i know about her is , she had something very magical in her personality that helped bring out the best and worst in humans. she believed she was a saint but at the same time she went through those ظار attacks and started seeing things.... she is an abandoned gypsy orphan from Romania who was later adobted by a christian Labanese family when she was 3 month old...war broke out in lebanon and her and her family moved to london when she was young.....
she is very spiritual, and loves music and tribal dances

this is how far i have gotten

ring a bell yet?

you know the name of the book sounds soo familiar i could swear i heard about a movie with the same name, but i can't really recall it properly (must have been a really old movie)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

راستا و بحب الباسطه

Last edited by Irie; 25-Sep-09 at 14:21.
Irie is offline               Reply With Quote               
Sponsored Links
Old 25-Sep-09, 22:40   #102
Pure81
Golden Member

Irie;

Nope but now i Know why i recognized it;

a) I was living in a place that is next to a street called portebllo, so thats why i found the name familiar

b) I did see the book, almost bought it , but settled for another one of Coelho's book "Veronika decides to Die"

Nice read too

tell us about this one , i am sure it will be good
Pure81 is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 27-Sep-09, 16:53   #103
Irie
Golden Member

Hey Pure81..

so far it seems very good, i hope it just gets more clear in the next chapters.... i still can't think in images with this book.. hopefully soon

The Author wrote about your book in the back of the this book, and i was thinking if i like him by the end of this book maybe i will get the veronica book... it's the 1st time i read for him so ya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 27-Sep-09, 16:56   #104
Irie
Golden Member

I also Bought The white Masai By Corinne Hofmann

did anyone read it ? or watch the movie?

i didn't know there was a movie from it untill i googled it just now to get a JPG of the cover lol

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 27-Oct-09, 02:53   #105
Irie
Golden Member

Thumbs up

Ok here it is ya Amat Allah

The book is called

The Deportees
" and other stories"

By Roddy Doyle

Warning: Lots of Irish swearing

http://excerpts.contentreserve.com/F...herStories.wma

My personal Opinion, i think this book is more enjoyable as an Audio Book.

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 06-Nov-09, 01:44   #106
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post

i didn't know there was a movie from it untill i googled it just now to get a JPG of the cover lol

I just started reading this book

Maaaaaan it's unbelievable

This Woman from Swiss.. who was quite rich for a 27yr old... had her own dressmaker shop and was quite well know in the town of Biel... one day, her and her husband decide to Visit the City of Mombassa in Kenya... and there it happened... she fell in love with the 1st MASSAI man that crossed her pass.... so what did she do?... well, she went back to swiss.Sold everything. Dumped the boyfriend. and Moved into the bush with the Massai......A Hut, a Massai.. and a Great Strange Romance of an Alien Culture!!...

This is if you don't know what is a maasai
http://www.uiowa.edu/~africart/toc/people/Maasai.html

Life of the Maasai Women
http://www.ofdc.org/story.html

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 06-Nov-09, 02:22   #107
umbrarchist
Major Contributor

There is of course Cory Doctorow

http://craphound.com/bio.php

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30142...-h/30142-h.htm

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/domkg10h.htm

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18224...-h/18224-h.htm

um
umbrarchist is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 06-Nov-09, 03:07   #108
Maq
Major Contributor

Snap, is this another one or the same guy? I remember seeing something about this on the Discovery Channel around 96 or 97. The Masai guy is in the city with his traditional clothes, spear and goes about his business. He started dating some white girl, they went back to his country where they got married. The girl's entire family attended the wedding Masai style it was incredible seeing the white folks mix with the masai

Quote:

Old 06-Nov-09, 05:15   #109
Brand
Golden Member

Beautiful post, thanks Irie. I remember a year or may be more Pure81 proposed a book club, unfortunately her idea was about a real book clubthat was supposed to take place in Khartoum, not a "cyberspace" one. Now, I guess, SDB has its own book club. Congrats.
The title of the post is intriguing, as it always brings some historical incident that I read, some time & where, about and Arab scholar named "الجاحظ" “Jahizz” who lived almost 1300 years ago. The story or legend, who knows, goes that he died at a very old age, reading a book, when a shelf of books fell over his frail body. So, you can mark that as the first “Death by Books”
Among Jahizz's favorite books is the "Animal" and speaking of it and linking it to one my selections to your post:
Here is a book that is "foggy" till, almost, the end of it BUT,then VOILA: it gets,crazy, sad, funny and captures you
and sticks itself in the memory forever.
Yann Martel writes The Life of Pi
Enjoy

Brand is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 06-Nov-09, 11:17   #110
kitayabi
Golden Member

Quote:
I just started reading this book

This Woman from Swiss.. who was quite rich for a 27yr old... had her own dressmaker shop and was quite well know in the town of Biel... one day, her and her husband decide to Visit the City of Mombassa in Kenya... and there it happened... she fell in love with the 1st MASSAI man that crossed her pass.... so what did she do?... well, she went back to swiss.Sold everything. Dumped the boyfriend. and Moved into the bush with the Massai......A Hut, a Massai.. and a Great Strange Romance of an Alien Culture!!...

http://www.uiowa.edu/~africart/toc/people/Maasai.html

Life of the Maasai Women
http://www.ofdc.org/story.html
The first african man she comes across and she divorces her husband

by the way which one is she is she the first one with what appears to be a mop on her head or the attractive one in the second picture.

kitayabi is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 06-Nov-09, 17:32   #111
Irie
Golden Member

LIFE OF PI....

HI Brand... This sounds like a very nice book to read... you just excited my reading cells LOL

I will def. check it out ones am done with the White Masai...

The Idea of having a real book club is sooo nice.. i wonder y pure81 didn't proceed with it

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 06-Nov-09, 17:47   #112
Irie
Golden Member

UM..

Thanks

Maq...

No it's not the same story..

Kit..
She broke up with a boyfriend. she is the one on the 1st pic.. and on the second pic i think is the actress whol played her role in the movie.

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 08-Nov-09, 17:15   #113
Pure81
Golden Member

A book that you Should NOT waste your time reading, something i rarely say.
The book is called "Nefertiti", it is terrible, unreadable, and simply bad. I just finished it because i started ...so do not start it
I forgot the author and I delibertly forgot the book somewhere so that I wouldn't have to remember how it was reading it.

Brand;
I still opt for the library, which someone else on SDB has proposed. I think many of us have a lot of books which we have read and we won't be reading again and owuld gladly like to share them with others. Perhaps Irie can someday transform this from cyberspace to reality
Old 08-Nov-09, 19:34   #114
Irie
Golden Member

Hi Pure81

Hmm.. sounds like a Great Idea... problem is.. I only have 3 books in arabic in my library... am not sure how well this will fly in english?... ... we could really do it... i even have the space for it .. but i need lots of ppl to participate

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 09-Nov-09, 00:21   #115
umbrarchist
Major Contributor

Quote:
I just finished it because i started ...so do not start it
I forgot the author and I delibertly forgot the book somewhere so that I wouldn't have to remember how it was reading it.
This is something that amazes me about a lot of readers. Finishing a book they don't like. I normally give a book 20 to 50 pages. The minimum is 20 and the maximum is 50. If the author can't interest me in 50 pages I assume the rest is a waste of time. I have heard people say, "It doesn't get good until about 300 pages." I would never find out.

um
Old 09-Nov-09, 01:10   #116
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrarchist View Post
This is something that amazes me about a lot of readers. Finishing a book they don't like. I normally give a book 20 to 50 pages. The minimum is 20 and the maximum is 50. If the author can't interest me in 50 pages I assume the rest is a waste of time. I have heard people say, "It doesn't get good until about 300 pages." I would never find out.

um
oh wow.. ur even more patient than me.... i go for 5 pages maximum lol

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 09-Nov-09, 02:00   #117
Zanoubya
Major Contributor

[QUOTE=Irie;677175]I just started reading this book

Although this book sounds completley ridiculous what i really found hilarious was your review of the book... You really cracked me up!
Zanoubya is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 09-Nov-09, 06:35   #118
Pure81
Golden Member

I'm in and i know atleast 5 other people who would like to take part in this.
I also know a very good place to ask people to join. So what's next?
do you know where the books can be placed and acessed?
Old 09-Nov-09, 06:44   #119
dollyh
Crown Member

Quote:
I'm in and i know atleast 5 other people who would like to take part in this.
I also know a very good place to ask people to join. So what's next?
do you know where the books can be placed and acessed?

well

we have a huge basement in our house in sudan... i was thinking about switching it into an Art Studio if i ever go back to live in Sudan... but i don't think that will happen... so in the meantime i can ask my dad if we can switch it into a Library, where ppl can borrow and return books... it will fit the library nice.. and it's in a very nice quite and clean neighbourhood.
i mean we can even throw a couple of chairs and couches in there and make it like a starbucks style.... the problem will be.. ppl borrowing books and never returning them. here everyone decipline because u give ur creditcard to the library and if u don't return the book after few month ur creditcard gets charged automatically the price of the book.

however we can do a deposit system... so you purchase the library card for something like $5.... and put about 50$ in deposit in it, incase you don't return a book then we can use that money to purchase a new one...and if u want ur 50 back.. you have to return the library card.

what do u think?

this is just quick brainstorming on the spot.. not sure if it makes sense
Old 09-Nov-09, 07:05   #120
Pure81
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyh View Post
well

we have a huge basement in our house in sudan... i was thinking about switching it into an Art Studio if i ever go back to live in Sudan... but i don't think that will happen... so in the meantime i can ask my dad if we can switch it into a Library, where ppl can borrow and return books... it will fit the library nice.. and it's in a very nice quite and clean neighbourhood.
i mean we can even throw a couple of chairs and couches in there and make it like a starbucks style.... the problem will be.. ppl borrowing books and never returning them. here everyone decipline because u give ur creditcard to the library and if u don't return the book after few month ur creditcard gets charged automatically the price of the book.

however we can do a deposit system... so you purchase the library card for something like $5.... and put about 50$ in deposit in it, incase you don't return a book then we can use that money to purchase a new one...and if u want ur 50 back.. you have to return the library card.

what do u think?

this is just quick brainstorming on the spot.. not sure if it makes sense
I love the idea! next step is to start getting people who are intrested and would like to give their books to this library, people from the board and other book-worms we know
First ask your dad, if it's ok with him, then we can go onto the next step...
books, shelves and the few couches / chiars
Plus a librarian - not nesscary one but a few - who would be availble to keep the library open...
Old 09-Nov-09, 07:12   #121
dollyh
Crown Member

Quote:
I love the idea! next step is to start getting people who are intrested and would like to give their books to this library, people from the board and other book-worms we know
First ask your dad, if it's ok with him, then we can go onto the next step...
books, shelves and the few couches / chiars
Plus a librarian - not nesscary one but a few - who would be availble to keep the library open...

Hi..

Librarian is gonna be the problem.. they must be super trustworthy...

and we gotta figure a way to pay for electricity and AC...

The shelves are no problem.. i can build them myself
Old 09-Nov-09, 07:18   #122
dollyh
Crown Member

Add to that.. the Libarian must know each book very well.. because she/he will be the one asked the most.. so they must have lots of knowledge in lit.
Old 09-Nov-09, 07:21   #123
Pure81
Golden Member

Quote:
Hi..

Librarian is gonna be the problem.. they must be super trustworthy...

and we gotta figure a way to pay for electricity and AC...

The shelves are no problem.. i can build them myself
For the librarian i suggest that the trusted participants of the library take turns;
1- they can be trusted with their own books
2- that way the library can be open for longer hours

I love the idea of you building in the shelves
I have no suggestions for the electricty...perhaps it can be a standard contribution from everyone every month? or every 6 months??
Old 09-Nov-09, 08:48   #124
dollyh
Crown Member

Quote:

For the librarian i suggest that the trusted participants of the library take turns;
1- they can be trusted with their own books
2- that way the library can be open for longer hours

I love the idea of you building in the shelves
I have no suggestions for the electricty...perhaps it can be a standard contribution from everyone every month? or every 6 months??

and the librarian will need to get paid right?

my dad won't mind.. it's a dead space anyways... and he will be more than happy if we used it to spread knowledge

I can't do this all the way from Canada and you in UK...

we need to be settled in sudan...or atleast go there for 6 month to setup this thing..
Old 09-Nov-09, 08:50   #125
dollyh
Crown Member

I Think we need to have at least 4 ppl on our team who are single and not supporting a family somehow... well employed and well working.... because we will have to pay whoever we hire from our own pocket untill the building generates money for itself..

and i do have an idea how we can generate money doing this.
Old 09-Nov-09, 08:54   #126
Pure81
Golden Member

I was thinking that people like us who use the library volunteer to be the librarians as opposed to someone new. That way we can guarntee to trust them because they would take care of the library, as their own books will be there. Each one could work 3 hours per week.

As for generating income for it..shoot, i am listening.

I hope Club drops by this post, because he was also thinking about this library idea, and i think he will help us with his experiance.
Old 09-Nov-09, 09:05   #127
dollyh
Crown Member

3 hours per week? no girl... that's not gonna work.. no one will work for 3 hours a week.. and u know sudan..ppl are starving no one will volunteer unless it means life or death!!...

and to be honest, we need someone who is much much more knowledgable than us .. we sorta need a human encyclopedia librarian to be able to answer all question by customers correctly.. he or she will also add great value

one of the ideas to generate money could be "english Lessons" every friday saturday for example..

Old 09-Nov-09, 09:08   #128
شواطئ
Crown Member

Quote:

دولي عثوولي

انا عجبني الكتاب ده عاوزة امشي افتشو
بالجد مبالغه

كثير من ذكريات . بعض من امنيات . اكثر من سبب للابتسام وسط الألم . جميل هو منظر المطر .الاجمل منه دوما ان هناك أمل رغم الألم
شواطئ is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 09-Nov-09, 09:11   #129
dollyh
Crown Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by شواطئ View Post

دولي عثوولي

انا عجبني الكتاب ده عاوزة امشي افتشو
بالجد مبالغه

دقيقه دقيقه ما تتهوري

خليني اتمو بعدين احدثك

لغايت حسه
الكتاب عباره عن حب مراهقين في شكل راشدين

فاااااااااا شنو...

انا قاعده اقرا و اقول

دي شنو العواره دي...

بس جازبني الشمار

انتظري ما تجيبي خليني اتمو بعد كم يوم كدا
و اقول ليك لو بستاهل
Old 09-Nov-09, 09:18   #130
شواطئ
Crown Member

Quote:

دقيقه دقيقه ما تتهوري

خليني اتمو بعدين احدثك

لغايت حسه
الكتاب عباره عن حب مراهقين في شكل راشدين

فاااااااااا شنو...

انا قاعده اقرا و اقول

دي شنو العواره دي...

بس جازبني الشمار

انتظري ما تجيبي خليني اتمو بعد كم يوم كدا
و اقول ليك لو بستاهل

هو في احلى من حب المراهقيييين

سمح بنتظرك يا سكر

كثير من ذكريات . بعض من امنيات . اكثر من سبب للابتسام وسط الألم . جميل هو منظر المطر .الاجمل منه دوما ان هناك أمل رغم الألم
شواطئ is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 09-Nov-09, 18:09   #131
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:

سمح بنتظرك يا سكر

you think??

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 10-Nov-09, 00:18   #132
umbrarchist
Major Contributor

Wild Seed is my favorite book by Octavia Butler.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/21839860

http://beyondassumptions.wordpress.c...ctavia-butler/

Actually I am somewhat more inclined to put it in the fantasy category than science fiction. I can't find my favorite book cover though. That ain't it.

um
Old 10-Nov-09, 07:53   #133
shambati

I have just put down this Classic:

Semi autobiographical,a love story follows the main theme of the book which chronicles the life of an AMERICAN ambulance driver in Italy during World War 1

انسان بريد عينيك كتير عشق حكايتك وادمنا

ولما رجع خطوي ولقاك بقي يكره الغربة المريرة ويلعنا
shambati is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 17-Nov-09, 01:38   #134
dollyh
Crown Member

Was is Good ya Shambati??
I'm not really into history books, but i would like to read a good one one day before i die

Thanks UM...
Old 17-Nov-09, 03:23   #135
Brand
Golden Member

Irie et al, greetings
I have to admit that the Life of Pi was and still is a good read that I owe its choice to our good old friend Osama, who is, I think, a retired SDBer now . He, Osama, recommended it some years back here in SDB.

Here is one excellent read, really enjoyable!
Salman Rushdie writes The Enchantress Of Florence

Enjoy
Brand is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 25-Nov-09, 06:52   #136
Irie
Golden Member

Salam Brand

You got me soo Interested in " THE LIFE OF PI " soo much that i know now what to ask for in Christmas

I think i just make a full list of this post books and pass it on to my friends

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 25-Nov-09, 06:56   #137
Irie
Golden Member

Today Bought this memoir book

ALONG WAY GONE
BY
ISMAEL Beah

Supposingly its the # 1 Globe and Mail & New York Times Bestseller!!

The Auther is said to be the most read African Contemporary Literature writer, and he is only 26!!

This will be my 1st time reading any of his books so i will let you know what i think of it when am done

so far the 1st 9 pages are well and engaging

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 25-Nov-09, 07:01   #138
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:

سمح بنتظرك يا سكر
Hi Shawati...

Ok i finished reading it 2 days ago...

I will say GET IT!

It's a very enjoyable read with lots of adventure as well as Anthropology...I liked reading it more than liking what this woman was doing itself...

now be careful.. because appreantly this book is 3 parts, THE WHITE MASAI is only Part 1!! LOL then there is " BACK FROM AFRICA" AND " REUNION IN BARSALOI" .... am looking forward to buying the rest sometime soon ... can't wait to know what she is done after running away with her daughter back to switzerland

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 28-Nov-09, 07:16   #139
Irie
Golden Member

Hey BRAND

I was Browsing Chapters Online today when i found 3 copies of " Life of Pi " and i was wondering if there is any difference betwenn all 3 " the one with the water and boat cover" " the one with the tiger face and orange background" or " the one with the Tiger lying on a boat in a birds eye view "...

The Prices were sooo different as a comparasion.. $3 , $6 and $20 for the last one

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 28-Nov-09, 07:21   #140
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Today Bought this memoir book

ALONG WAY GONE
BY
ISMAEL Beah

Supposingly its the # 1 Globe and Mail & New York Times Bestseller!!

The Auther is said to be the most read African Contemporary Literature writer, and he is only 26!!

This will be my 1st time reading any of his books so i will let you know what i think of it when am done

so far the 1st 9 pages are well and engaging

Just a FYI

This book is SOOOOO GOOOD i can't put it down!!.... I'm almost done reading the 226 Pages book!

But it's really really sad and too Bloody Graphic....
If you are a Girl and going to read thise, make sure you don't wear makeup while reading it cuz its all gonna get smudged witht he tears

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 28-Nov-09, 11:10   #141
al_msaa
Crown Member

there's a lot of book we're read it translated version in Arabic , and we were enjoy read it , but we will find a diffrent taste if you are read it in the mother language , English.

al_msaa is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 28-Nov-09, 21:28   #142
Irie
Golden Member

Salam Al Masa

That is True....

My next Target is to Read all available English Translated Books by Altayeeb Saleeh But i know they will not be as good as if i read them in Arabic, But Unfortunatley my Arabic is Still not Strong Enough for me to read novels and fully understand them

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 19-Dec-09, 11:19   #143
Irie
Golden Member

I Justtttttttttttt Finished reading
Back from Africa

Amazing
Lovely
Emotional
Motivating
Adventurous

I

Love

IT
!

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 19-Dec-09, 11:20   #144
Irie
Golden Member

Now am waiting to Recieve part 3
Reunion In Barsaloi

It was supposed to be mailed out to me since DEC 9

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 19-Dec-09, 16:06   #145
بن رباح
Banned

Books?? ... What books??? ... Who wrote them and Why???

Chimamanda Adichie

The danger of a single story

بن رباح is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 20-Dec-09, 05:35   #146
dollyh
Crown Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by بن رباح View Post
Books?? ... What books??? ... Who wrote them and Why???

Chimamanda Adichie

The danger of a single story

Hey man

Very nice

Inspiring

Beautiful

True

Old 23-Dec-09, 10:51   #147
dollyh
Crown Member

Angry

I'm Very Disappointed!!

Reunion in Barsaloi
Part 3 of Corinne Hoffman Biography

I can't Believe she didn't take her daughter back to Kenya so she can meet her dad and her African Roots ....

I got the book this morning and read the 1st few pages with full disappointment!
She better have a good explanation for this
Old 23-Dec-09, 11:11   #148
dollyh
Crown Member

Has Anyone Read THE BOOK OF NEGROES yet?

I want to read it but am reluctant due to the title

Plus i never read for this "Lawerance Hill" before.... any one did? what do you think of the style?
Old 28-Dec-09, 11:41   #149
Pure81
Golden Member

This book transformed my own life so I would like to share it with the rest of you:

Its a self-help book, there is also an Arabic version of it
it summrizes the steps to transform ur life in 7 which are in the image below:

hope u find it as nice as i did
Old 28-Dec-09, 11:43   #150
Pure81
Golden Member

and another self-help book i like was this :

by Elizabeth Gilbert
I am not sure if guys will like it but deffently a good one for the ladies