Go Back   Sudan.Net Discussion Board - SDB - منتدى سودان.نت > General Discussion Board > General Discussion - المنتدى العام

Old 08-Sep-09, 00:47   #51
shambati

No Kits ,I havent.......

Is it interesting?

انسان بريد عينيك كتير عشق حكايتك وادمنا

ولما رجع خطوي ولقاك بقي يكره الغربة المريرة ويلعنا
shambati is offline               Reply With Quote               
Sponsored Links
Old 08-Sep-09, 01:09   #52
kitayabi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambati View Post
No Kits ,I havent.......

Is it interesting?
its definetly interested its narated by death,not sure if its good yet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

kitayabi is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 08-Sep-09, 03:07   #53
Pure81
Golden Member

Quote:

Pure 81 and Kityabi,

Sorry i didnt really find Slumdog (the movie) entertaining at all.just another rags to riches story.....

I am currently reading:

One Hundred years of Solitude By Marquez (nearly finished but the family connections is so bloody confusing yakhi)
and

England ,My England by D H Lawrence
What I liked about the movie / book is not the story line of rags to rich...What I found lovely about the movie was the way the life of the star was encapsulated in those moments, and how each scene would tell a longer story...within a movie time this movie was able to introduce a new world to viewers, one which most people might not be aware it existed.
No the becoming rich is deffently not the essence of the story for me

as for 100 years of Soltiude...well lets just say I have mixed feelings about it: one: never in my life have i seen a more foolish book !! two: sometimes it seems smart....What I would love to do is read it in its original language, spanish...as things tend to "always" get lost in translation
Pure81 is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 08-Sep-09, 04:14   #54
Dr_Moe
Exemplary Member

Quote:
Hi Irie
Great idea but if u claim any originality in any book club idea then ur a fraud and a plagiarist Dr_moe was/has been the main protagonist in that regards looong ago.

Ahaaaaa. You're showing your age now Shambati.

Quote:

Sorry i didnt really find Slumdog (the movie) entertaining at all.just another rags to riches story.....

I am currently reading:

One Hundred years of Solitude By Marquez (nearly finished but the family connections is so bloody confusing yakhi)

I agree that Slumdog is probably not worth all the hype that came with it. It was an amazing movie project because it was filmed in India and because it was a Cinderella story i.e. an unknown director and cast making a low budget movie that becomes one of the most famous movies of all time. I wouldn't buy the book though and I wouldn't watch the movie again.

..Soltitude is a fantastic book but as you said, very confusing. If you manage to get past the first three chapters then you'll enjoy the rest of it. Marquez is just so different and I just can't help myself thinking that some of the genius in his writing has been lost in translation (the same way any an Arabic Masterpiece loses some of it's magic when translated to English).

Dr_Moe

يا محمد, يا مسيح, أي انسانيةٍ فى لغة الكونِ الجديد؟
Dr_Moe is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 08-Sep-09, 04:26   #55
Irie
Golden Member

Auntgranny

Thanks for the rich list, i will def. be looking for some of those books

how have you been?

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Irie is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 08-Sep-09, 04:28   #56
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrarchist View Post
What are Netbooks and the internet for?

Baen Books makes some books available free as advertising.

Lois McMaster Bujolds Mountains of Mourning is available here:

http://www.baen.com/library/

Just click on The Authors and she is 5th from the top

http://mervih.wordpress.com/2008/10/...s-of-mourning/

I think Miles Vorkosigan makes is a very good "soft" science fiction series.

psik

PS - Star Wars is not science fiction by the way.

Thanks dear
. . .

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 08-Sep-09, 04:33   #57
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Moe View Post
Salam

Do you know how many book clubs I started in the last ten years? More than ten, that's for sure . Gosh! I misss the archive. May the hacker rot in hell for the stunt he pulled.

Dr_Moe

Salam M_Moe

hmmm.,..yes i think i remember something like that.... and i also remember requestiong of you to make a new club post when you made the post about " a Thousand splendid suns" ... but you totaly ignored me and my request .. so me and meso figured what the heck! we got a membership too

thanks for the books you are sharing with us, you got a good taste. keep them coming

Dr_Irie

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 08-Sep-09, 04:36   #58
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure81 View Post

Same here, but if you check the latest novels...especially American Novels there seems to be a large number focused on both these two countries and the situation their...my 12 year old cousin is reading the following books from the school library:

The Breadwinner

Parvana's Journey

Mud City

If that many is accessible to kids...how much more for adults...anyways dont want to divert the post

Hi Pure81

Please write reviews about these books, the picture only doesnt pull it.

the kite runner is indeed a touching story

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 08-Sep-09, 04:38   #59
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Going back to classics
one of the best books I have read
Pride and Prejudice
by
Jane Austen

I like this book.... the movie is a disaster, don't ever watch it!

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 08-Sep-09, 04:47   #60
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Hi Irie

The post has come at at good time since Ramadan is an intense reading time 4 me.U actually beat me to the punch ,i was planning to start a post on books (aiming to draw Dr moe's attention and fellow SDBers)

Im going retro and big classics these days:
just finished:

(the Full) Al ayam by Taha Hussein (donno how i missed it for that long)....1st two parts monotonous,very juicy towards the end

Oliver Twist (just amaaaaaaaaaaazing)

Pure 81 and Kityabi,

I am currently reading:

and

England ,My England by D H Lawrence

Hey shambatii
(regarding the Idea of the Post... read my reply to Dr_MOE)

agree with u on the slumdog thing... i hated the movie... so i didn't even bother read the book

oliver i found all Charles Dickens books amazing

one of my favorite since middle school is

David Copperfield

This is also a very good read for you ya Ruby

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 08-Sep-09, 04:51   #61
Irie
Golden Member

i have yet to start reading arabic novels

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 08-Sep-09, 05:15   #62
Bella`
Golden Member

A very interesting novel by Barbara Taylor. The book is about a murder of a handsome/ charismatic man. Each chapter is narrated by a different character in an attempt to solve the mystery of his death, which gives it a unique style. The novel is well written and leads to revealing unexpected coincidences.

Last edited by Bella`; 08-Sep-09 at 05:19.
Bella` is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 08-Sep-09, 08:59   #63
Pure81
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Hi Pure81

Please write reviews about these books, the picture only doesnt pull it.

the kite runner is indeed a touching story
I haven't read them, but they just came up in the discussion regarding books on Afghanistan that were starting to show up
Old 09-Sep-09, 01:47   #64
kitayabi
Golden Member

Quote:
i have yet to start reading arabic novels
Ive read translated arabic books such as the yacoubian building but not one in arabic,though wouldnt mind trying it.

Old 09-Sep-09, 01:49   #65
kitayabi
Golden Member

Quote:

I haven't read them, but they just came up in the discussion regarding books on Afghanistan that were starting to show up
you can always find good reviews on amazon

Old 09-Sep-09, 02:38   #66
Irie
Golden Member

Thumbs up

The Weather Makers is a Great read about the Environment (Global Warming)
and how we are killing our own natural habitat
I have read it about 2 yrs ago.. it's very insightful

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 09-Sep-09, 02:41   #67
Irie
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitayabi View Post
Ive read translated arabic books such as the yacoubian building but not one in arabic,though wouldnt mind trying it.
many yrs ago my uncle got me 2 novels for altayeeb saleh ... i read about half of each then lost the books one day in my regular packing and moving
they were quite nice as far as i remember

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 09-Sep-09, 04:53   #68
Irie
Golden Member

Like Soulb Said: we thought dem damn devils get locked up in Ramadan! what are they doing in my post?!

Speaking of the Devil

Here is a Fun entertaining Book

Boss and employee relationship + fashion industry issues and lifestyles

a good book and a good movie ( the movie is slightly different though)

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 09-Sep-09, 07:33   #69
amat allah
Crown Member

hi Irie and every one
I love Shakespeare plays sooooo much
and Macbeth is my favorite

and here you can read it online
http://www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/macbeth/
amat allah is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 09-Sep-09, 07:53   #70
Dr_Moe
Exemplary Member

Quote:

Boss and employee relationship + fashion industry issues and lifestyles

a good book and a good movie ( the movie is slightly different though)

I watched the movie. Not a classic but certainly a quite entertaining satire. Meryl Streep stole the show with her performance.

Dr_Moe

يا محمد, يا مسيح, أي انسانيةٍ فى لغة الكونِ الجديد؟
Dr_Moe is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 09-Sep-09, 10:23   #71
Pure81
Golden Member

The breadwinner By Deborah Ellis
AFGHANISTAN: Parvana's father is arrested and taken away by the Taliban soldiers. Under Taliban law, women and girls are not allowed to leave the house on their own. Parvana, her mother, and sisters must stay inside. Four days later, the food runs out. They face starvation.So Parvana must pretend to be a boy to save her family. It is a dangerous plan, but their only chance. In fear she goes out - and witnesses the horror of landmines, and the bruality of the Taliban. She suffers beatings and the desperation of trying to survive. But even in despair lies hope

Parvana's Journey By Deborah Ellis
This sequel by award-winning author, Deborah Ellis, tells the story of Parvana, travelling alone across a war-ridden Afghanistan in an attempt to find her family.

Mud city By Deborah Ellis
Shauzia is Parvana's friend from The Breadwinner. Now Shauzia has fled from Afghanistan, to a refugee camp in Pakistan. But Shauzia has a dream. She dreams of getting away from the refugee camp and travelling to France. There she knows she would find a better life, away from the war in her home country of Afghanistan But escape is not so easy. Once she leaves the camp, she has no money, no food - and only her dog Jasper for company. But Shauzia is determined to find a new future for herself This is another deeply moving story from Deborah Ellis, which casts light for readers on the ongoing human situation in Afghanistan.

A limited preview of the books is availble on books.google.com
Old 09-Sep-09, 18:12   #72
Ayana
Golden Member

Send a message via AIM to Ayana Send a message via MSN to Ayana Send a message via Yahoo to Ayana

Quote:
Originally Posted by فتاة متزحلقة View Post
Thanks Dolly

Here is my fav book of all time:

The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

This is such a beautiful book about a prophet that passes by a city. He gives his words of wisdom to the people of that city. The words are so beautiful and that metaphors used are just magical. The first time I read it I was so moved by the words that I started crying at some parts. Oh did I mention that I was reading this book on the bus? People were giving me sorry looks

Believe it or not, I first read this book when I was 12 years old. There's an album to this book also. The album is fantastic. Please getit if you haven't already done so. I just love listening to this album; it is also great for those who are too tired to read. It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo relaxing.
Old 09-Sep-09, 18:28   #73
kitayabi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayana View Post
Believe it or not, I first read this book when I was 12 years old. There's an album to this book also. The album is fantastic. Please getit if you haven't already done so. I just love listening to this album; it is also great for those who are too tired to read. It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo relaxing.
i havent heard a naration of a book in years

Old 09-Sep-09, 18:33   #74
Ayana
Golden Member

Send a message via AIM to Ayana Send a message via MSN to Ayana Send a message via Yahoo to Ayana

Quote:
i havent heard a naration of a book in years

Simply beautiful. You will sleep like a baby. lol
Old 10-Sep-09, 06:30   #75
Irie
Golden Member

A Fantastic read on Sustainable Design
it talks about other option to changing the way to make things, so that they are more safer for the environment

http://www.mcdonough.com/cradle_to_cradle.htm

I have enjoyed it soo much!

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 10-Sep-09, 06:49   #76
Taseti
Major Contributor

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

Last edited by Taseti; 10-Sep-09 at 06:58.
Taseti is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 10-Sep-09, 07:51   #77
SoulBrother
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SoulBrother

usually i hate books ,, and when i read one it's either school related or politics

but i want to post this book ,, probably most of you already read it

none other than

Herman Melville

Moby Dick

SoulBrother is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 11-Sep-09, 05:40   #78
Irie
Golden Member

this book talks about a true story of a Saudi Princess... it shows how women behind the veil live in saudi arabia.. and what really happens behind closed doors.
a very sad and heartbreaking book. But i love it!
The Author of the book was actually the Princess very close friend.. and this Princes (name disclosed) asked the Author to publish this sad story about her life, so the rest of the world can know, and try to help the less fortunate

راستا و بحب الباسطه

Last edited by Irie; 11-Sep-09 at 05:43.
Old 11-Sep-09, 13:09   #79
umbrarchist
Major Contributor

There is lots of free stuff on the internet now. The problem is figuring out what is worth the time to read.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23197...-h/23197-h.htm

um
umbrarchist is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 11-Sep-09, 13:23   #80
umbrarchist
Major Contributor

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

is available free as an audio book:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/9147

but you can read it if you prefer:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15

I think good science fiction from the 50s and 60s is more about what is happening in the world today then any so called classics. It is even better than some modern science fiction. Modern SF has become too commercial, like Star Wars, and really has nothing to say.

um
umbrarchist is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 11-Sep-09, 13:42   #81
so
Major Contributor

Thumbs up About a special kid

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Beautiful, emotinal and sometimes funny..
A good read

Quote:
Christopher Boone is a 15-year old autistic savant in Swindon, England. He hates being touched, cannot tell a lie, or understand metaphors or jokes. He is a whiz at math and enjoys puzzles. When the neighbor's dog is killed with a pitchfork, he seizes upon it as a puzzle and math problem in hopes of understanding something that makes no sense to him. This begins a journey for Christopher that takes him places he never imagined, both physically and emotionally. Mark Haddon's novel is narrated by Christopher, which creates a nuanced character who is neither stereotyped nor stiff and unoriginal. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time has received praise from almost all reviewers. The Fort Myers News Press says, " It would be curious indeed if this little gem of a novel didn't find its way onto the best-seller lists."
Old 11-Sep-09, 14:05   #82
so
Major Contributor

Default Not a children's book ..

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Touching story and very sad..

It's about nine-years-old Bruno forced (as he put it) to leave his home in berlin and move with his parents to a bleak old house in the countryside of “Out With”, where his father has become the Commandant.
He spends his days bored and lonely, with only his “hopeless case” older sister for company, he decides to go exploring. He wanders to a nearby fence where he meets a boy his age, dressed in striped pajamas. The two easily become friends and talk together from separate sides of the fence, neither of them completely aware of the horrors that surround them.
Old 11-Sep-09, 14:14   #83
kitayabi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so View Post
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Touching story and very sad..

It's about nine-years-old Bruno forced (as he put it) to leave his home in berlin and move with his parents to a bleak old house in the countryside of “Out With”, where his father has become the Commandant.
He spends his days bored and lonely, with only his “hopeless case” older sister for company, he decides to go exploring. He wanders to a nearby fence where he meets a boy his age, dressed in striped pajamas. The two easily become friends and talk together from separate sides of the fence, neither of them completely aware of the horrors that surround them.
this was an excellent book

Old 11-Sep-09, 15:25   #84
فتاة متزحلقة
Golden Member

Quote:
Am I right to say this a work of fiction?
Yes it is a work of fiction. However, the style used is similar to the way Prophet Mohammed used to narrate ahadith. I have a feeling the author was probably inspired by our own Prophet.
Old 11-Sep-09, 15:29   #85
فتاة متزحلقة
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayana View Post
Thanks Ayana. Do you know if it was by a specific narrator? Where did you get this album?
Old 11-Sep-09, 15:38   #86
فتاة متزحلقة
Golden Member

The Road by Cormac Mcarthy

This book isn't poetry, but it's also not pure narrative. It's somewhere in the gray between, and I enjoyed every single page of it. The Road" is a work of stunning, savage, heartbreaking beauty. Set in the post-apocalyptic hell of an unending nuclear winter, Cormac McCarthy writes about a nameless man and his young son, wandering through a world gone crazy; bleak, cold, dark, where the snow falls down gray; moving south toward the coast, looking somewhere, anywhere, for life and warmth. Nothing grows in this blasted world; people turn into cannibals to survive. We don't know if we're looking at the aftermath of a nuclear war, or maybe an extinction level event - and it does not matter how it happened. What matters is the bond between these two, and the level of human interactions.

I am glad that this book has been turned into a movie
It's coming out this Oct I believe

Old 11-Sep-09, 19:19   #87
Ayana
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by فتاة متزحلقة View Post
Thanks Ayana. Do you know if it was by a specific narrator? Where did you get this album?
My aunt purchased this album for me from the music store. The book and the album can be purchased at the same store. Most people who sell the ook will have the album. My favorite part of the album is part where the narrator say, speak to us on children and he said, "your children are not your children, they only come through you by you for you". I was only 12, but I found this statement to be a unique one.

Hope you get a chance to listen to the album one day.

Queen
Old 15-Sep-09, 04:10   #88
Irie
Golden Member

Roots By Alexander Haley

The Monumental saga of one man`s 12yr search for his family origins...

The Man is Alex Haley, a black American
Through six generations of slaves and freedmen, farmers and blacksmith, lawyers and architects, he traced his ancestry back to Africa, back to Kunta Kinte, the 16 yr old youth torn from his homeland and brought in torment and anguish to the slave market of the new world.

I love this book..

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 15-Sep-09, 05:14   #89
kitayabi
Golden Member

Quote:

this book talks about a true story of a Saudi Princess... it shows how women behind the veil live in saudi arabia.. and what really happens behind closed doors.
The Author of the book was actually the Princess very close friend.. and this Princes (name disclosed) asked the Author to publish this sad story about her life, so the rest of the world can know, and try to help the less fortunate
I cant imagine feeling sorry for a saudi princess

Old 15-Sep-09, 05:15   #90
kitayabi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrarchist View Post
Moby Dick by Herman Melville

is available free as an audio book:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/9147

but you can read it if you prefer:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15

I think good science fiction from the 50s and 60s is more about what is happening in the world today then any so called classics. It is even better than some modern science fiction. Modern SF has become too commercial, like Star Wars, and really has nothing to say.

um
thanks i might just be lazy and use this

Old 15-Sep-09, 05:35   #91
kitayabi
Golden Member

why the hell is this beeing narrated by steven hawking

Old 22-Sep-09, 11:08   #92
Pure81
Golden Member

Dreams from my father: a story of race and inheritance
By Barack Obama

This is a book which is 'supposed' to be about Obama's upbringing, to those of you who are supporters of Obama, the book will reaffirm why you liked him in the first place. If you are skeptical about him you will come out from the experiance of reading it even more skeptical of the man's political ways. Had I read this book before him being president I would say it shows an honest man who has large dreams for humanity. But because I read it now, I do so in the context of him being the perfect poltician, and somehow can not see beyond that.
In all its a good book to read, he wrote it himself which makes it seem like his own reflections on his life. It is also a nice reflection on urban life and racial conflict in USA.
Old 22-Sep-09, 11:14   #93
Pure81
Golden Member

Quote:

I read the book, and what is in it is probably not far from the truth in KSA. However I personally could not feel it very authentic, and in places the book seemed to be the writers imagination rather than solid facts.
It seems more of a story that was inspired by the ways in KSA rather than a true story.
Old 22-Sep-09, 12:44   #94
kitayabi
Golden Member

I think I might skip Obamas self indulgent memoirs

Old 22-Sep-09, 14:24   #95
Pure81
Golden Member

Quote:
I think I might skip Obamas self indulgent memoirs
Well if you look past the idea that its a book about the president's upbringing, its not bad. Especially if you are into books like Roots and Toni Morrison's books. Both are really not my cup of tea but i was amazed by the descriptions of the cities he has been to.
Old 22-Sep-09, 14:33   #96
Pure81
Golden Member

بنات الرياض
رجاء عبد الله الصالح

A lovely story; the storytelling itself is creative and innovative...a true page turner.
Old 23-Sep-09, 01:56   #97
Irie
Golden Member

hey you guys

I just finished Reading Cat's EYE By Margart Atwood today...
I wrote about it earlier in this post but i wasn't done reading yet
but now i gotta say!!!
what an amazing book... it's sooooo true you will be nodding your head throughout the chapters with joy, anger!

راستا و بحب الباسطه

Last edited by Irie; 23-Sep-09 at 01:57.
Old 23-Sep-09, 05:34   #98
SoulBrother
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SoulBrother

am surprised no one mentioned this book yet

Old Yeller

Fred Gipson

anyone watched the movie

both of them are great ,, movie and book

SoulBrother is offline               Reply With Quote               
Old 25-Sep-09, 02:38   #99
Irie
Golden Member

Hey guys

Has any of you read this book?

i started it today... and it seems interesting but still foggy..

راستا و بحب الباسطه
Old 25-Sep-09, 08:44   #100
Pure81
Golden Member

Quote:

Hey guys

Has any of you read this book?

i started it today... and it seems interesting but still foggy..

I am not sure, remind me of the beginning of it